Friday, October 10, 2008

Don't Be Turkeys; Rather KISS the Comedian

Alright, let's talk about this improv thing. In case you haven't heard, I recently started an improvisational comedy club at my school. It's sort of an odd experiment - starting a club that requires confidence and gusto at a school populated almost exclusively with computer nerds - and the results were mixed. I was quite impressed with what I saw, but, as I'd suspected, not many people showed up. Eight people, myself included. School rules require clubs to have at least ten members, and I wouldn't want a troupe of any fewer than twelve, excluding me. In fact, I nearly cancelled the whole thing before we even began playing any games, but I'm glad I didn't. I've since talked to a few people who missed the meeting due to scheduling conflicts, and I now have a small, but enthusiastic groupof wannabe improv-ers seeking out new recruits. Next week I should find out whether improv at DigiPen lives or dies. I'm hoping for life.

Troubling pattern: I have heard two (2) separate people this week say (and repeat) that KISS is important, which is stupid enough, but then they had the gall to explain the acronym. Are we really still doing this? I didn't think it was funny or clever ten years ago, and it hasn't improved with age. What really gets me is the palpable sense of smugness that always accompanies these obnoxious phrases.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want season tickets!