Thursday, May 7, 2009

My Thoughts

I watched the last episode of Scrubs today, and I can safely say it was one of the best shows I have ever seen. Definitely in my top five. It was absolutely fantastic.

Excluding one very weak clip show, every episode was at least good, and most were great. It's exactly my type of entertainment. Funny, but not afraid of emotion. It's probably the most dramatic show I've ever watched, but the trademark quirky fantasy sequences rarely seemed out of place.

To me, real life is not a comedy or a drama or horror or any other genre. It's made up of so many different experiences. Scrubs certainly aimed for comedy above everything else, but it wasn't a never-ending series of jokes, smiles, and high-moments. Like life. I've never followed a straight drama for more than a few episodes be constant earnestness and gravity bore me. Life simply cannot be serious all the time. We, as humans, are not equipped to handle it, and I think it makes poor entertainment.

If you want me to care about a character, then that character better make me laugh. Scrubs was one of the few shows that could make me care and laugh. If you've never watched it, now would be a fine time to get started.

No comments: