Sunday, March 2, 2008

Llamas

The first thing gamemakers always say when addressing those who want to enter the field is that making games is not the same as playing games, and while this is certainly true, the most enjoyable part of programming to me is getting stuck on some sort of problem and using logic to arrive at a solution. I find myself pulling on all of the thinking-skills I've acquired from a life filled with games. I'm working on a puzzle game right now, and I find that searching for a way to overcome development hurdles makes for more enjoyable puzzles than many of those seen in the game.

I believe very strongly in the value of a good education, but outside of a few great teachers, I think I've been failed by the school system. Something has to change. Many of the best gamemakers are quick to point out the educational worth of video games, but I wonder what potential lies in the form. I've developed more of the sort of deductive reasoning skills I need now through playing games than I have through thirteen years of formal schooling. Extra-curricular activities, like, theatre and ComedySportz have been very kind to me, as well. I'm not saying we need to replace textbooks with Gameboys, but there's certainly something to be said for the effect of fun on work on learning.

I have a lot of work to do tonight, so I'll return to these subjects with a bit more focus another time.

"[I've] always been somewhat disillusioned with the educational system. Some people have said it was originally based on the idea that we're training factory workers, so it was very important to teach them to do some repetitive task for eight hours a day. What's going to be really exciting is when this Nintendo generation gets a little bit older and starts becoming teachers in schools. I think that's going to make a bigger difference than any kind of educational reform ever will. In the future a lot more learning will happen in the home"
- Will Wright
Creator of SimCity, the Sims, and a bunch of other stuff with the word "Sim" in the title

No comments: