Friday, February 6, 2009

And You May Find Yourself Living in a Shotgun Shack

In my first class today, I spied no fewer than three (3!) Starbucks beverages. This marks only the second time in more than three semesters I have seen Starbucks drinks within this school, despite DigiPen being located just outside of Seattle, at least two Starbucks locations within a 5-10 minute walk of the "art campus," and the fact that many of the people who attend this school are either college students or college professors.

In a later class, I overheard one student (who wasn't me) refer to another (who also wasn't me) as "so nerdy," and another student (still not me) agreed. This is... unprecedented. I don't think I've ever heard a non-me someone at this school ever use the N-word, and any time I've ever let it slip, I've been quickly reminded by a phalanx of geeks that everyone here is a nerd and that it's so EPIC FTW (giggle, giggle, snort).

The roommates are currently off at someone else's place training for a Super Smash Bros. Brawl tournament in which they'll be competing tomorrow, so at least there is some order in this screwy universe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha, Starbucks as a sign of normalcy.

We lead different lives, my brother!

Jake said...

Hey, I don't like it, but the Starbucks cup may be the defining symbol of bland youth culture and higher education in America.