Saturday, April 19, 2008

Hail to the Bus Driver, Bus Driver Man

"You look happy! Are you feelin' happy?"
"Hey, are you two going to the movies?"
"Are you a happy baby?"

This is but a small sample of the questions you might have been asked if you rode the 253 bus to Bellevue this afternoon. Bus riding in the Seattle area is generally a fairly quiet, mundane experience. You'll usually find someone reading a book or listening to an MP3 player or maybe softly talking into a cell phone. If there's anything I miss about Houston (there's not), it's buses full of psychos. Admittedly, I don't ride the buses that often here, but still... I've never been riding the bus here and suddenly had a loony crackhead start wailing on another passenger, then had the bus surrounded by cops who proceed to shock the wacko with a taser multiple times.

But I digress. This is about the nutty bus driver I had today.

"Hey, have you ever seen Bruce Almighty? That has to be one of the funniest movies I've ever seen, if not in awhile."

Then he started shouting Bruce Almighty quotes.

5 comments:

Jake said...

Hmmm... Blogger's clock is different than my own. According to my clock, I barely met today's deadline. There's so much more I could have said.

The bus driver was glad that Jim Carey wasn't as vulgar in Bruce Almighty as he was in Me, Myself, and Irene. He did, however, wish there were more "Marylin-Monroe-blowing-up-the-skirt scenes." "Remember the scene with the Hispanic gang members?" He took a few minutes to recite it.

For those wondering, there was no context for any of this. Also fun: his gaze was directed toward the rear-view mirror for most of the trip.

To be honest, having a wacky bus driver makes any trip to the grocery store more interesting. The thing about this that really wilts my salad was that he was so wrapped up in conversation when I got on the bus that he ignored me entirely.

Anonymous said...

This is about the nutty bus driver I had today. ^
^
typo ^


love, sister jack

Jake said...

What? I don't understand the problem.

Anonymous said...

At least he didn't quote "Steve Almighty." Right?

And take it from your resident grammar expert: Sister Jack is silly.
Unless she's implying that you can't "have" a bus driver, but that, too, is silly. If you stuck him in your pocket, then she's entirely wrong.

p.s. Did you know there are about six of you on facebook.com and none of them are actually you?

Jake said...

Indeed, I did not.