Thursday, May 22, 2008

Semi-Disposable Swedish Furniture

Generally when my life gets either too exciting or too dull, my blog suffers. As you've likely noticed, JakeyPen has been pretty dull this week, and as much as I'd like to blame it on the thrilling life I lead, the truth is that I've been bumming it up big-time. I'm still not done with this increasingly tiresome portfolio, but I resolve to finish one paper before I go to bed tonight. I keep telling myself that I don't have much left to do, which is true, but trying to force myself to finish it all in a day hasn't been working as well as I'd hoped, so I'm back to taking baby steps.

To fill the gap during my hopefully brief boring streak, please be entertained by the story of the IKEA Fancy Dress Dinner Party, brought to you by Cockeyed.com.

Actually, this reminds of a none-too-interesting anecdote. Very shortly after I first moved to Washington, in the days before I had furniture, I went to the local IKEA. As I entered, I heard someone make reference to "Semi-Disposable Swedish Furniture," a quote from Douglas Coupland's Generation X, a book I incidentally just finished re-reading (I'm currently working on The Second City Almanac of Improvisation and Noam Chomsky's Interventions, as long as I'm sharing unremarkable mundanities from my life). Anyway, I think it was the moment when I heard strangers at the furniture store laughing over Douglas Coupland references that made me feel as though I had finally escaped the dirty, dirty south.

Edit: I just looked up "dirty south" on Urban Dictionary. Apparently it is a term of endearment for the region. Let it be clear that I have no positive feelings toward the south.

No comments: