Friday, June 20, 2008

Lunchtime Conversations

As mentioned several thousand times before, I'm not allowed to talk about my job. Obviously revealing details about unreleased games on a publicly viewable blog would not be good, but in order to protect all secrets, I'm not even allowed to discuss the games I test with my coworkers unless we are safely secluded inside of our office. This means all lunchtime conversation must be about anything other than what we do together all day long. The following is a list of all lunchtime conversation subjects:

1. The weather.

2. What everyone is eating.

3. What everyone is wearing.

4. Foods eaten during previous lunch breaks.

5. Foods to be eaten during future lunch breaks.

6. The size of the cafeteria tables.

7. The weather of other places where we have lived.

8. "Oh, that's right, we're not allowed to talk about the game. I'll tell you after lunch."

9. Previous jobs.

10. "Anyone see any movies lately?" (No)

11. Anime (I think. I have several vague memories of one person or another saying something about watching something with a Japanese-sounding name. By the time I regain consciousness, half my food is gone.)

12. "The cake is a lie." (If you don't know what this means, don't bother looking it up. It's a once-funny nerd joke that has been over-quoted to oblivion. You couldn't spend five minutes in the DigiPen computer labs last year without hearing someone say this, followed by raucous giggling.)

13. The last two make me sound like I'm really down on my coworkers. (Seriously, though, we get along pretty well.)

14. I'm not adding much to the conversation, myself. (So I'm in no position to complain.)

15. Silence.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might want to try talking about girls. I hear that's what boys are supposed to do.

Jake said...

Actually, I sit with as many girls as boys.

Anonymous said...

bring cake to work sometime, and count how many peopl say, "the cake is a lie"

- li'l sis' jak

Anonymous said...

I didn't mean to leave the "e" off of "peopl"
please forgive me

Jake said...

There's often cake at work, anyway.

Anonymous said...

well, steal it

Anonymous said...

We don't let uncle frank talk about work either but his is-Zzzzz

Jake said...

Everything about that dude's life is Dullsville.