Monday, February 11, 2008

Oh, no! It's the Grumpo!

That's it. I'm done. I've had enough. I hope Hollywood brings in enough scabs to put all the writers out of work, 'cause the union has gone too far.

The thing that really burns my toast* is that I supported them. I spent time explaining the reasons for the strike to my friends. I listened to folksy protest songs. I stopped watching TV.

And now...now, as negotiations were taking place, as settlements were being written, they did this...

The Writer's Guild of America gave the the award for best writing in animation to the "Kill Gil, Volumes I & II" episode of the Simpsons.

Don't get me wrong; I love the Simpsons. I think it's the best television series in history. Still they've done over 400 episodes, so you know they can't all be winners, and, in fact, some of them are simply bad. The show's been in a funk lately, but the 18th season really started to bring the quality back up. I didn't stop laughing during the entire first act of the episode where Homer joined the army, and the episode where anchorman Kent Brockman swears on the air could have easily been a part of the series' golden era.

Then there's "Kill Gil." It's probably one of the 10 worst. Episodes. Ever. IUT's so bad. It's...

Oh, wait, it looks like "Juno" got the award for best original screenplay. That movie rocked.

Okay, WGA, you're forgiven. For now.




* I was not aware, when writing this, that "burns my toast" was a real phrase, but it is. I tried to find something more original, but "grills my cheese" and "bakes my potato" are real cliches, as well.

No comments: